Don't Ignore Social Implications (was: Pornography on reflector)

Mark Kilby (kilby@cs.ucf.edu)
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 14:36:02 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Luc Volders wrote:

> I think a few on this list are making an issue out of nothing.
> If someone is exhibiting himself on a reflector: just close the window.
> You would do that on TV, so do it also on a reflector.
> The discussion is just between a few people on this list so I think
> most even do not care.
>
> Regards,
> Luc

I disagree. I personally am interested in how the Cu-See-Me user community
will resolve this problem. As more people begin to interact via CUSM, and
the Internet in general, these kind of social issues will continue to crop
up and they should not be squelched due to a perceived lack of interest.

However, let me thow in a caveat. Having read newsgroups for several years
now, I tend to avoid reading most of the messages that fly past when I see
numerous replies to the same topic. Instead, I'll typically read those
messages from folks that usually provide constructive suggestions or info
(i.e., Luc and Michael S. in this case).

Perhaps we should consider how to approach such issues as a community and
not stick our heads in the sand on these non-technical issues. I don't
have specific suggestions, but perhaps we can consider developing a forming
to discuss and decide such issues. The newsgroup voting mechanisms and
LambdaMOO issue resolution approaches may provide insight.

My $0.02.

- Mark

Mark C. Kilby, Research Associate Digital Media Lab
Computer Science Department 407-823-6532/5341
University of Central Florida email: kilby@cs.ucf.edu
Orlando, FL 32816 http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~mck11718
The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of
thinking that created them. - Albert Einstein