Re: [W] Quickcam cap rate.

John R. Haggis (haggis@cesium.com)
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:45:38 -0800

At 01:23 PM 1/11/96 +1100, you wrote:
>I have a PC version, and almost any movement is blurry. I tried most of
>How do your results compare to this.. When capturing an AVI in a fairly
>well lit room, I was averaging between 80 and 90 percent of my frames
>being dropped???? Is this right or expected? The AVIs are nothing

I have the PC QuickCam on a Toshiba T400 75MHz Pentium laptop and it seems
to run OK at about 10 frames per second with a 120x160 window. I don't have
stats on dropped frames although it looked like it was doing at least 5 fps
if not 10. Where did you get your stats on dropped frames? I have just two
things to say about it:

1. Ya don't buy a parallel-port QuickCam to make seamless movies.

2. It depends on a lot of stuff, none of which you've told us yet:

- CPU speed and cache
- Bus architecture (ISA, VLB, PCI, MC, EISA)
- OS type (W31, WFWG311, W95, god forbid OS/2)
- Amount of memory (affects disk paging)
- Disk cache type and size
- Disk doubling? Memory doubling?
- Network running?
- Application used to record the movie
- Display system
- Other software/drivers running

Good luck. - JohnR

--
John R. Haggis                                      haggis@cesium.com

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." (Pogo)