RE: Dynamic Addressing

Lionel L. Lenoir (lllenoir@ionet.net)
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 08:58:46 -0600

----------
From: ronies@interpath.com[SMTP:ronies@interpath.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 1996 9:47 PM
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: RE: Dynamic Addressing=20

I had the same problem using mIRC.
I have an answer for you.
I contacted my provider. I told him which local phone number
I called to connect to the net. My provider then gave me a list
of all IP address' for that phone #. He told me to then once
I log on ping each IP address until I came up with the smallest
reply time number. <snip>

I apologize if this has already been suggested but I seem to have missed =
the original post(s).

My provider also uses dynamic addressing. When I was using Trumpet =
Winsock I could actually see my IP address as it was given to me. Win95 =
does all this transparently of course.

One thing that works for me on my WIN95 PC is to use a freeware program =
called WS-PING (I think it comes in 16 and 32 bit versions). WS-PING =
automatically looks up the local host IP (your IP) when you run it. If =
your PING utility doesn't do this then you might try PINGing yourself by =
putting something like this in the host lookup box: =
"yourlogon.domain.name"

For me I'd type "lllenoir.ionet.net" in the host box and click the =
lookup button. PING returns my IP address for the current session.

Hope this helped (and wasn't a waste of bandwidth!).

Best,
Lionel Lenoir
Bethany, OK, USA=20