Re: QuickCam and modem on same port?

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil)
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:30:18 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Carlos Puig wrote:

> >Now, I also got CU-SeeMe for video conferencing. It uses both QuickCam and
> >the modem at the same time. Can these two can use the one modem port at the
> >same time.
>
> No.
>
> >Or will l I have to unplug the printer cable and put QuickCam in
> >the printer port for video conferencing?
>
> Yes, or switch between the camera & the printer.
>
> My setup:
>
> (1) 28.8k modem connected directly to modem port.
> (2) QuickCam & Stylewriter connected to printer port via A/B serial
> cable switch.
>
> I can switch between the camera & printer without restarting. However, the
> switch needs to be set to the printer position before you bring up the
> application's print dialog. If you don't switch early enough, the system
> complains about not having a printer.
>
> Connectix specifies a limit on the total cable length between the camera &
> the computer. I believe that it's 12 ft. max.
>

> --
>
> Carlos M. Puig, KJ6ST Apple Computer (408)862-6682

Greetings:
I've heard through the grapevine, that you could use an A/B switch box, if
you plan on using a printer off of LPT1: Otherwise, you could purchase a
secondary port? Nah, buying an A/B switch box might be cheaper. Give it a
try and let us know!

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
"http://www.apci.net/~derskine"