Re: Newsgroup??

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil)
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:50:26 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Jan 1996 rcampbell@fdic.gov wrote:

> Any thoughts on starting a newsgroup for Cuseeme? Would be a great place to
> save these message threads and respond so everyone could browse them. Would
> save a lot of list traffic too.
> I'm uncertain how to start a newsgroup. I'd presume it would have to start as
> an 'alt' and be voted into COM.

Greetings:
I like this idea!!! Problem is, who's going to host this newsgroup? Also,
will this newsgroup supplement or replace the current listserver?
Keep in mind disk space requirements! A listserver works basically like
a reflector, forwarding a copy of a single user message to an entire group.
Whereas a newsgroup requires a server machine to maintain a copy of every
message posted. ...And then there's the subject of message aging. How often
or how old does a message need to be posted before you purge it, to make
room for more new postings???
Again, I must say I like your idea. I hope you can see why it hasn't been
implemented, yet.

PS - (Mr. Craig Kaplan) Am I on the right track???

Thank you for your time,

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
"http://www.apci.net/~derskine"