NOT possible? 2 PC's? C'moooooonnnnn

Grant Newland (star@gvi.net)
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:56:29 -0600

> From: "John R. Haggis" <haggis@cesium.com>
> Ravi,
>
> It is NOT possible to connect 2 PC's directly for CuSeeMe in its current state

I have done this both dialing one to the other directly, and, through a
serial cable between two PC's on a desk. I used Trumpet Winsock 2.0b,
although any version can do it. Setup Winsock with a false IP address,
and remove the name server address and domain name entries (make them
blank). Make sure both ends have identical values and port bit rates.

For a serial cable test, confirm the serial link works first with Comit or
terminal on each end, you should get NO local echo of characters, only
on the opposite end should they show. For modem to modem, set one
of the Winsocks to manual dial, and enter the auto answer command
(ats0=1), then escape to PPP or SLIP again. The other side dials.

Once both sides are in PPP or SLIP, one CUSM can connect to the false
IP address given to the other side. No name server queries are made, and
PPP client to client works.

One thing to remember, the maximum transmit rate on side A is controlled
by the setting on side B for minimum transmit rate, and this must be set
to a high value before the CUSM connection is made. I don't know why,
but it's the truth.

There's no other mysteries to doing this. It's a valuable test for determining
what affects what.

Grant

P.S. I have 97 mail messages in one day from this thing, I will have to
back out after this evening. I am always available by direct e-mail.
Good luck all !!