Re: Newsgroup??

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 23:49:08 -0800

At 08:50 1/22/96, Sgt Daniel W. Erskine wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Jan 1996 rcampbell@fdic.gov wrote:
>>
>> Any thoughts on starting a newsgroup for Cuseeme?...
>
>I like this idea!!! Problem is, who's going to host this newsgroup?

Nobody hosts newsgroups. One that goes through the posting process is
broadcast all across USENET.

>Also,
>will this newsgroup supplement or replace the current listserver?

The two can be "gated", so that one mirrors the other.

>Keep in mind disk space requirements! A listserver works basically like
>a reflector, forwarding a copy of a single user message to an entire group.

Err, no. A list server makes a copy of a message for each subscriber to
the list. A newsgroup makes one copy for each Internet service provider.

>...And then there's the subject of message aging. How often
>or how old does a message need to be posted before you purge it, to make
>room for more new postings???

Like each of the other 12,000+ USENET newsgroups, message aging is a
site-specific bit of magic that takes into account the disk space allocated
to the news feed and the activity on each group.

A while back I created and posted a proposal for CU-Seeme newsgroups. A
few folks voted, far less than the required number. Turn-out was pathetic.
If there is renewed interest I can probably dig the Call for Votes out of
the UVV archives.

Michael Sattler, Digital Jungle <mailto:msattler@jungle.com> |
San Francisco, California, USA <http://www.jungle.com/msattler/> |

My book "Internet TV with CU-SeeMe" (ISBN 1-57521-006-1) is available! |

To leave this list send listproc@cornell.edu a message body with the |
command "u*subscribe cu-seeme-l". (Replace the '*' with 'n'; if |
the "un" word had appeared then this message would have automagically |
been filtered to the trash by many people's filtering configuration.) |