Re:Can I have a private CUSeeMe conversation with someone ?

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:06:54 -0600

>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 19:20:14 -0500
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Anthony Jowers <rajowers@csra.net>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Can I have a private CUSeeMe conversation with someone ?
>
>Can I buypass the conference style environment and go one-on-one ?

Sure, just enter the person's IP address instead of one for a reflector. Be
sure to get PERMISSION before initiating a direct conenction.

Before they connect to you, make sure you click on Conference/Start Sending,
otherwise your CU might not be set to transmit. Also check your settings so
they match your modem speed.

>How do I signal a person that I want to have a conversation ? must they be
prearanged ?

Yes, there is currently no way to "ring a bell" at their side when trying to
connect, like calling on the phone. If you both have dynamic IP addreses,
then you will need to meet on a reflector first to exchange IPs for each new
session.

>Is it hard to establish a reflector site ? Keep it private ?
(intra-company for instance)

>Anthony

Reflector software is written for UNIX systems, tho there are a few
versions available that have been ported to various flavors of Windows
(3.1, NT, 95). To keep it private, in the reflector config file you would
put a statement like this:

ADMIT 128.83.108.0:8

This would allow only IP addresses 128.83.108.0 thru 128.83.108.255 to connect.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
http://www.realtime.com/~wcw/