Re:Two questions: *HELP*!! (timeouts)

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:06:40 -0600

>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:44:30 -0500 (EST)
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: "Bruno W. Repetto" <br0w+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Two questions: *HELP*!!
>
>As a new subscriber to this list, I would like to ask the following:
>
>1) I am the proud new owner of a QuickCam. I am using Trumpet Winsock
> on a 486/66Mhz Pc. I use version 0.84b7 of cuseeme. I have a ppp
> connection through my Internet provider.
>
> When I try connecting to a reflector, I seem to be able to come in,
> but I get timed out almost immediately. For a few seconds, I am able
> to see a few of the other xmitter's windows, but suddenly everything
> freezes and after a minute or so, I get the 'timed out' message. I have
> also tried connecting directly to a friend's computer in this way, and
> the same thing happens to both of us.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Are there cu-seeme settings I should be
> tweaking? I have looked through the cuseeme documentation, but haven't
> been able to find any hints about what's wrong.
>
> Can anybody help?
>
>This whole deal begs the following, second, question:
>
>2) Does this list have FAQ?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>B Repetto
>br0w@andrew.cmu.edu

Check your transmit and receive settings. This has been answered several
different ways lately, but I believe it is best to set your maximum settings
no higher than your modem speed. I have been told that lower settings help
the audio work better, but I have not had a chance to test this yet.

When you first get the software, the default transmit max is set to 80, and
the receive max is set to 300. If you are a modem user, then this is way
too high. Try 28 for a 28.8 modem and 19-20 for a 14.4 modem. Work your
max down until you get the best results. This from Rich at Cornell:
"It does help to set the max cap to the actual cap in the case of a modem
link. This keeps the software from trying to exceed the current cap to see
if there's more bandwidth available - this results in delays and choppy audio."

Also keep in mind the speeds of the other users on the reflector, or the
speed of the other party's modem in the case of a direct connection. You
can't push 28k thru another person's 14.4 modem.

For all of you lurkers, the only way currently to change your receive
settings is to edit the cuseeme.ini file with an editor such as NOTEPAD.
Look in the [Flow Control] section for the following variables and change
accordingly:

MaxCap=24
MinCap=10
MaxRecvCap=24
MinRecvCap=10
UseFlowControl=Yes
CurrentRecvCap=23

As far as FAQs go, I have one on my web page, Michael Sattler has one, and
one comes with the cuseeme.zip file. Check some of the "related CU-SeeMe
links" from my web page. There are a lot of very well done CU-SeeMe pages
out on the web.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe