Re:CU-SeeMe & VideoLogic Captivator

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 23:48:16 -0600

>Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 21:44:41 -0700
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Smitty <w9koy@azstarnet.com>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: CU-SeeMe & VideoLogic Captivator
>
>I'm very interested in getting into video conferencing. I've been
>checking into the CU-SeeMe program and the QuickCam. I already own a B/W
>CCD camera which is powered by a 9v battery that I bought some time ago.
>I was trying to think of a way to put it into use instead of buying the
>Quickcam. I saw where the VideoLogics Captivator was listed as one of
>the boards which will work. It also appears to be one of the least
>expensive of all the other boards. What I'm wondering is if anyone
>thinks that the Captivator board and my CCD B/W camera would work
>alright. If so I am going to order it and give it a shot. My camera has
>an RCA type plug that goes to it and I see where the video card has the
>same plug. Any information that someone can pass along would sure be
>appreciated. I would like to get this working as soon as possible.
>Thanks in advance for you assistance. Please reply to my email address
>below.
>

> "Smitty"
> w9koy@azstarnet.com
> http://www.azstarnet.com/~w9koy

Hi Smitty. I use the captivator card and an RCA Camcorder (when not using
my Quickcam) and your ccd camera sounds like just the thing. I also have a
ccd security camera with the RCA type output, which works with the
Captivator. Lots of the newer camcorders have the S-video output, also,
which the Captivator supports.

I have been working with IBM Compatibles for about 16 years, and have
installed many different boards in the b\past. This was the EASIEST board
I have ever installed. The installation software checks interrupts and
ports BEFORE you install the board, then it adds the drivers to Windows,
and tells you EXACTLY what jumpers to put on the board and where to put
them. THEN you install the board into the computer. Bravo to VideoLogic
for an excellent product.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe