Re: Hi-Speed connection help

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil)
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:34:29 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Video Com wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I own a reflector (V4.00B3) on a T1 line opperating under LINUX, and I want
> to transmit one CUSEEME feed to many lurkers. Now for the questions, I
> have a choice of using a 486/66 or a Pentium 100, is there going to be a
> benefit using the Pentium? Also I have a choice of a 28.8K dialup or a
> 4 mbps line from TCI Cable, is there going to be a benefit using such a
> high speed connection?
> Thanks,
> Bill

Greetings:
There'll always be a benefit from choosing a Pentium processor over a 486DX
processor! Now you have to weight the cost differences between using a 28.8
modem and a 4Mb TCI connection. Will your workstation be using the internet
enough (and require the power) to justify the 4Mb pipelime???
You never said if this was for a business or for private (home) usage? If
your 4Mb TCI provider is giving you "decent" rates, then GO FOR IT ! ! !
There's many factors here that you haven't mentioned, so I cannot define for
you which is more cost effective!
Let me know what you're using the internet for, how often your using it,
and tell me if it's for business or home use. Then, I'll be better able to
provide you with a more "cost efficient" answer!

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
"http://www.apci.net/~derskine"