Re: Optimal Settings-Mac

Joshua Pollak (jpollak@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us)
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 18:40:44 -0500

At 08:20 PM 1/28/96 -0600, T. S. H. wrote:
>I am using a PowerMac 8100/100 with a 28.8 modem. With compression
>(if that really helps any) I can connect to my local dial-up at 57.6
>and sometimes even higher. What are the optimal settings for this
>type of setup without, of course, screwing up everyone else's
>viewing pleasure. What are the best audio settings, etc? I
>appreciate any feedback. CU-Seeme is an absolutely fantastic
>application and if a commercial version is released I will certainly
>open my wallet for it. Good job, guys and thanks for any
>suggestions!

In MacPPP set your port to the highest setting availabe. On a PowerMac it
should be 230k or something like that. If that faild to connect, try 115k.
If you have a PowerPort modem (Platinum, etc) make sure you enable all the
compression/correction options.

Believe it or not, 28.8 is better than 57.6, b/c 28.8 can go as high as 115k
if the connection between your computer and the modem can go that fast.

Set your monitors control panels to 16 greys.

Don't use audio if you want good frame rates. Otherwise, I'm not sure what
is optimal. I would guess mono, 4 or 11 khz. try it out and see (tell me if
one works exceptionaly better than another!)

Use the most recent version of CU-Seeme (duh)

Don't run anything else at the same time.

Use FreePPP. (it couldn't hurt)

All IMHO, of course.

Auj.
01.85=08.17.95 | Joanie: "I'm pretty good at breakfast, too."
17=01.13.96 | Rick: 8^o
133.16.1200.288 | -G. B. Trudeau
Physics was invented to explain why arithmetic is sometimes wrong.