Re: Hi-Speed connection help

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:21:17 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Video Com wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Sgt Daniel W. Erskine wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Video Com wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > > I own a reflector (V4.00B3) on a T1 line opperating under LINUX, and I want
> > > to transmit one CUSEEME feed to many lurkers. Now for the questions, I
> > > have a choice of using a 486/66 or a Pentium 100, is there going to be a
> > > benefit using the Pentium? Also I have a choice of a 28.8K dialup or a
> > > 4 mbps line from TCI Cable, is there going to be a benefit using such a
> > > high speed connection?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bill
> >
> > Greetings:
> > There'll always be a benefit from choosing a Pentium processor over a 486DX
> > processor! Now you have to weight the cost differences between using a 28.8
> > modem and a 4Mb TCI connection. Will your workstation be using the internet
> > enough (and require the power) to justify the 4Mb pipelime???
> > You never said if this was for a business or for private (home) usage? If
> > your 4Mb TCI provider is giving you "decent" rates, then GO FOR IT ! ! !
> > There's many factors here that you haven't mentioned, so I cannot define for
> > you which is more cost effective!
> > Let me know what you're using the internet for, how often your using it,
> > and tell me if it's for business or home use. Then, I'll be better able to
> > provide you with a more "cost efficient" answer!
> >
> > "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"
>
> Hi Dan,
> We will be using the reflector for business, and want to provide the best
> possible picture, TCI is offering the 4Mb line for $49.95 a month. Do you
> think transmitting to the reflector via the 4Mb line will improve the
> quality (frame rate) of the picture to the end user?
> Thanks,
> Bill

Greetings:
All-ll-rightee-ee then... Tell ya what, a 4Mb pipeline might better suit
your business needs. Keep in mind that if the "end user" has anything less
than your 4Mb channel, that transmission/reception quality will drop
accordingly! Sure, your reflector will notice the benefits, but will your
users??? Also, if your business's network is centralizing the 4Mb TCI line,
and ALL your users are on the 4Mb pipeline, you ALL will notice the quality!

I hope this answers your questions?

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
"http://www.apci.net/~derskine"