Re: No response over a dial-up

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 20:31:16 -0600

>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:53:41 -0600 (CST)
>From: "Sgt Daniel W. Erskine" <derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil>
>To: "Dr. Vijay Aswani, Ph.D." <vaswani@ns.sinfo.net>
>Cc: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu, Bill Woodland <wcw@bga.com>
>Subject: Re: No response over a dial-up
>
>On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Dr. Vijay Aswani, Ph.D. wrote:
>
>> I recently tried to set up a dial up network as follows:
>> I ran NetManager TCP/IP Custom on one machine in a 'Listen for
Connections' mode. This machine had an IP number 192.1.1.3 and was hooked to
a 14.4 modem.
>> I connected to it using a TCP/IP dial up networking applications (Win95).
The computer dialling in had the IP number 192.1.1.2.
>> I checked that the two machines were in a TCP/IP network by 'pinging' the
IP numbers.
>> 192.1.1.3 did not have a camera attached. I launched CUSeeMe.
>> I launched CUSeeMe on the computer 192.1.1.2 through which I had dialled
in using another 14.4 modem. This machine had a QuickCam set up so that it
could transmit video.
>> I had made sure that both the machines had the same settings in the
Cuseeme.ini file.
>> When I tried to connect to 192.1.1.2 from 192.1.1.3, I got the message
'No response from 192.1.1.2'.
>> When I tried to connect to 192.1.1.3 from 192.1.1.2, 192.1.1.3 would open
a received video window with the right title but the window would be blank.
No image. The screen on 192.1.1.3 would say connected to 192.1.1.2 but
meanwhile 192.1.1.2 would simple say 'No response from 192.1.1.3' (although
192.1.13 had received the signal).

>> What's happening? What should I do? Any help will be appreciated.....
>> Thanks,
>> Vijay
>Greetings:
> If I remember correctly, Mr. Bill Woodland had found a possible solution to
>your problem. You might want to drop him an Email at "wcw@bga.com" and see
>what he says!
> Correct me if I'm wrong... You are trying to "network" 2 dial-up hosts and
>use CU-SeeMe, directly?
>
>Hope this helps you!
> "THERE IS NO SANITY... Just organized CHAOS!!!"
>
> "I'ld rather STAND CORRECTED than SIT CONFUSED!!!"
>
> Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
> PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
> "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"

Actually, it was Grant Newland that first sent this info to the list. Here
it is: