Re: Hi-Speed connection help

John R. Haggis (haggis@cesium.com)
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:03:24 -0800

Wow, that's great! 4Mbps, fully bidirectional, for 49.95 a month. (I'm
paying US$165 for a 128K line., and that's before internet access costs.)

Yes, my own recommendation is to go for the full bandwidth and definitely go
for the Pentium processor, at the highest speed you can afford now (they're
making 133 MHz models). If you get any kind of popularity on your
reflector, you will eat up that bandwidth (both comm line and CPU) and then
some. I have a 486DX2/66 and a Pentium and the difference is like night and
day on the OS and most applications.

Get EDO RAM if you possibly can (and make sure you get a truly EDO-capable
motherboard like the Intel ZAPPA or the ENDEAVOR). EDO (Extended-Data-Out)
RAM speeds memory accesses by a significant amount by overlapping address
set-up and data read-out cycles. It makes my Pentium laptop at 75 MHz run
like a 100 MHz machine. Also, in the near future, all the motherboard
manufacturers will be going to EDO memory support so your investment in RAM
(the most costly part of your system right now) will be transferrable.

Just my $0.02, but feel free to write if you have any questions or comments.

Regards,

John (haggis@cesium.com)

At 03:27 PM 1/31/96 -0330, you wrote:
>The 4 m cable system we use here in Newfoundland is fully bidirectional.
>They are expecting to up it to 10 m within a month or so. The offset
>system you're speaking of is Phillips (I believe) and delivers 512k out
>and 4 back???
>
>On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, John R. Haggis wrote:
>
>> One question:
>>
>> About this "4mb" line from TCI... Most cable forays I've heard of into
>> TCP/IP transport involve a fast incoming line and slug-like outgoing line.
>> This could be a new infrastructure, but most of them are geared toward
>> content delivery. Are you sure the 4mb is bidirectional? If it were only
>> incoming, it wouldn't do very well for your CU-SeeMe reflector to send out...
>>
>> - John (haggis@cesium.com)

I want

usage? If

--