Re: Bandwidth problems.

Adrian Close (adrian@tracker.com.au)
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:12:07 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> We're trying the point-to-point conference with WhitePine's CUSeeMe.
> The network connection we have is T1 (1.4 Mbps?). We set the maximum
> bandwidth to 999 kbps, but the transmission and receiving rate hovers

Heheh... let me guess - the dialog only accepts three digits? ;-)

> just around 60 kbps. Is there any way we can increase the rate. I've
> heard that there is a cap of 80 kbps in some reflectors, but based on

I had similar issues running a direct connection between two machines on
a LAN, although I was able to get 80kbps and above, using WP ECU 2.0 and
the 16-bit Cornell version.

Maybe you're hitting a limit set by the hardware you're using at either
end? My understanding is that CU is designed to not send more packets
than the receiver has said it can handle. Have you had a look at the
stats - are you getting dropped packets? Just and idea....

> Running LinuX; Cos anything else would be a waste...

Hey, well if you can tell me how to get CU running under Linux I'm all
for it. CU and games are about the only reasons I need to use anything
other than Linux... ;-)

Apparently there is QuickCam support for 'nv' under Linux, and you can
run your own reflector to hook into other refs, which will handle
conversion of NV to cu.

Unfortunately I'm using a Videoblaster + camcorder so that doesn't help me
a lot... ;-(

Anyway, good luck and have fun playing with your T1!

Adrian Close email: adrian@tracker.com.au
Software Testing and Support phone: +61 3 9822 7966
Tracker Software International fax: +61 3 9894 8028
http://www.tracker.com.au mobile: +61 419 577 582