Re: CU-SeeMe and 7200/90 - 7.5.3

Michael Pelletier (mikep@comshare.com)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:56:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, John Ingham wrote:

> Gilles, though you didn't say what your connection mode is, I can just
> about guarantee that you are using a modem with an early version of MacTCP
> or FreePPP. Get yourself the current FreePPP 2.5 ver 2 from
> www.rockstar.com (that's from memory.) I had all there same symptoms as
> you describe + a total lock-up when sending audio. All fixed with an
> upgrade of FreePPP.

Has anyone else tried OpenTransport 1.1.2 and OpenTransport/PPP 1.0?
I've found that they're a vast improvement over MacPPP/FreePPP,
particularly in connection management. The connection-opening
characteristics, particularly in the realm of auto-opening, I found to be
quite flaky with the Mac/FreePPP systems. OT/PPP seems to be much more
smoothly integrated with the rest of the system, and opens and closes the
PPP connection very gracefully, and even detects when I've been hung up
on.

I haven't used it much with CU/SeeMe, since I recently switched from a
direct-connect 1 to 2 hour time limit PPP link to a behind-the-firewall
unlimited free connection, and since it's an application-layer firewall I
can't use CU/SeeMe or any other video for that matter... But I suspect
it would work just fine.

-Mike Pelletier.