Re: Black screen

James Crittenden (jamesc3@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 07:20:07 -0800

At 02:54 PM 1/20/97 +0800, you wrote:
>I recently purchased an Iomega zip external drive. I am running WP
>enhanced CUSeeMe on Windows95 on a 486/50 system with a 28.8 USR modem.
>I only have one parallel port which the zip drive plugs into. I have an
>A/B switch which plugs into the zip drive to allow operation of my
>printer and CUSeeMe. The zip drive is supposed to "pass through" data
>when it is not being used. It does to the printer but with CUSeeMe I get
>a black screen when connecting to self.
>
>Has anyone else tried this configuration? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>Skip
>
>Dear Sir:

I think I can help you with this one. The i-omega zip drive and the
connectix quick cam will not work together. Before you blow out your
motherboard use the Quick cam alone. I blew two motherboards and could not
get the systems to work at all. I even got the assistance of CompUSA to get
this work. You would think that with the way the Zip states the parrall set
up that you would be able to set the cam on the same line with the Cam. It
won't work. The way that me and my brother-in-law did the setup is as follows:

*Buy another port slot that will be used for the cam.

*Set the Zip drive on the printer line and hook up the printer through the Zip.

This will save your motherboard and you should be able to get the full power
of the cam along with the Zip Drive. Why do you have to do this. Bill
Woodland will tell you that the Quick Cam especially color needs to use alot
of Memory. With the hook up on the Zip drive it appears that the line does
not allocate enough for the Cam to utilize the computer and therefore you
get the temporary "black screen." after that the pic should come up but it
is a lot of stress on the line and eventually you may blow your board.

Hope this helps.

James