Re: mmx

Michael Pelletier (mikep@comshare.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 09:42:26 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:

> Does anyone have any thoughts about how mmx technology may or may not
> affect CUSM performance?

>From what I understand, MMX is basically a gimmick, or at least not what
I'd call a "significant new technology" -- they introduced 57 new opcodes
for graphics and sound-oriented integer math and used a couple of existing
floating point registers to speed up integer operations at the expense of
floating point, but since most video, audio, and graphics stuff uses
integer math anyway, it gives that stuff a shot in the arm.

You have to use software that's specifically designed to use these new
opcodes to get the full effect. If White Pine or CU comes out with a MMX
version of CUSM, then yes.

-Mike.