Re: Help connecting

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 23:52:57 -0600

At 10:36 AM 1/17/97 +1030, you wrote:
>Raquel asked...
>
>>Could anyone help me? I am trying to use CU-Seeme, and most of the times
>>(95%) that I try to connect either to a reflector or to an individual's IP
>>address, I get a: NO RESPONSE FROM XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>>
>>At the same time, my brother was easily connecting to the same reflector.
>>
>>Another question I have: If I want to communicate with John Smith, and he
>>wants also to communicate with me, do we both have to connect to the other's
>>IP address??? Or is it enough that either of us connects to the other's IP
>>address.
>
>I suggest Raquel that the second question gives a hint to the answer to the
>first! No you don't have to call each other, it IS enough that either of
>you connects to the other's IP address. I have noticed recently however
>that whenever I call a friend in Alabama, he never responds - indeed he
>doesn't even see an invitation (I know because I've checked over the
>telephone as I called him)! And yet his calls to me ALWAYS get through and
>connect when I answer them. I'm pretty sure the problem is not my end
>because I can connect to other IPs with no problem.
>
>I don't know why this should be - maybe it's a configuration problem at my
>friend's end (perhaps "Squeek" would like to comment). Anyway, if the ONLY
>way you can connect with your brother is when he calls you, then I'd
>suggest that something is wrong with your configuration causing an
>in-ability for you to *initiate* ANY connection.
>
>On the other hand though, I must comment that the number of Reflectors
>which seem to operate around the clock seem to be dwindling - usually from
>the list of 50 or so which come with the White Pine Enhanced software, I
>can get replies from only a half a dozen at any one time.
>
>Sorry Raquel that this reply isn't more helpful, but at least you know
>you're not entirely alone!
>

>John Ingham
>Supervisor, Technical Operations, CALS (Centre for Applied Learning Systems)
>Adelaide Institute of TAFE (Training and Further Education)
>GPO Box 1872 Adelaide South Australia 5001
>Ph: +61 8 8207 8550 Fax: +61 8 8207 8552
>Email: johningh@tafe.sa.edu.au
>Web Site: http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/video-conf/

With no info on what version Raquel is using, it's hard to know for certain
how to answer this, but my first thought is to check the max receive
setting. If you are using the Cornell version, read the section on my web
page about "How to fix the Cornell version" and adjust your settings
according to your modem speed.

If this is NOT the case, email me directly with LOTS more details and I'll
do what I can to help.

Bill Woodland (Squeek)
Email, PowWow, and ICQ: wcw@bga.com
URL:http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW