Re: mmx

Cat Woodmansee (catw@dns.mcoe.k12.ca.us)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:31:21 -0800

Michael Pelletier wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts about how mmx technology may or may not
> > affect CUSM performance?
>
> >From what I understand, MMX is basically a gimmick, or at least not what
> I'd call a "significant new technology" -- they introduced 57 new opcodes
> for graphics and sound-oriented integer math and used a couple of existing
> floating point registers to speed up integer operations at the expense of
> floating point, but since most video, audio, and graphics stuff uses
> integer math anyway, it gives that stuff a shot in the arm.
>
> You have to use software that's specifically designed to use these new
> opcodes to get the full effect. If White Pine or CU comes out with a MMX
> version of CUSM, then yes.
>
> -Mike.

MMX will speed software running on the computer if that software is
rewritten, true. But if people are using a QuickCam or other that uses
ONBOARD digitizing then MMX never comes into play; frame rates might not
increase at all. In fact, I wonder if plug-in video cards will benefit;
same situation, they do all their own work and don't access the CPU/MMX
except to transfer the info in and out of the CU-SeeMe window, and MMX
isn't a big help there. Anybody feel the same way? (BTW, Makes Apple's
TriMedia effort look a little better, since the acceleration is right
where you need it, at the video/audio feed.)

c@ <----Mac fan