Re: Please *HELP* w/CU and AOL

Mon, 05 Jan 1998 23:13:29 -0600

Brian K. Dowtin wrote:

> Please help. I've spent the better part of a week on this
> and am at my wits end.
>
> The Setup:
> PC compatable (486/66MHz 33Mb)
> Boca 33.6 modem
> Windows 95
> AOL 3.0 for Win95
> B&W QuickCam
> Cu-SeeMe 2.x.x
>
> The Problem:
> When running CU-SeeMe using AOL as the ISP.
> Upon connect (to a reflector or a direct connect) just after connect,
> packet rate begins to drop, hits 0, Cu reports Connection Timed out,
> AOL hangs, then hangs up - "Goodbye".
>
> The Tries:
> 1. Tried same setup on different machine, similar results -
> AOL hangs up.
>
> 2. Email WPine Tech Support - had me check my TCP/IP settings for the
> AOL adapter, they're ok
>
> 3. Online Tech Suppt with AOL - similar suggestions to WhitePine,
> essentially said if the browser is working, then their TCP/IP setup
> is fine, and "it's not them"
>
> The Obvious Solution:
> Have my mom switch to a more direct ('real') ISP. But she's gotten used
> to AOL and does not want to switch.
>
> I've spent countless hours trying to get this to work with no avail, save
> for one connection to a NASA ref that lasted for 5 minutes without
> dieing - spurred on by this success I tried to make a DC next, which
> promply killed the connection. UGH.
>
> I will be eternally grateful to anyone who has even a smigen of help
> or advice on getting this setup working - my guess is I've missed a
> basic something (modem setup or something like that)
>
> Thanks in advance!
> 'Brian
Son, you are running with all the anchors hanging out. 486/66mhz is a
minimum. QuickCam robs CPU power. AOL is a dog. What you need to do is
lower your transmit/receive rates to a low number, perhaps 15 each. You
are not going to get fast rates anyways, and you are not going to
squeeze much out of AOL, which is at its limits all the time. Nurse
yourself along and be happy with 1 FPS if you are lucky.
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.