Re: HELP! I AM DROWNING!

Dave Enberg (denberg@gza.com)
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 09:02:09 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01BD1A81.C4D775C0

1. Under Conference...Phone Book.....you type in the IP number of the =
person you are trying to reach. They must have CU up and running as =
well. Select Connect and if they are hooked up properly you will get =
connected. Sometimes a bad phone connection or a lot of traffic on the =
net will slow response times down, but you should get a connection.

2. there are lots of reflectors out there but not all are UP all the =
time. thats why you get an unable to connect message probably....could =
also be because of a bad connection (see above). If you want to see if =
it works, try connecting to White Pine Cafe or to NASA TV, they are =
usually always up.

this are simplistic responses but they should get you on your way
-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Rugemalira <raymond.rugemalira@hut.fi>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Tuesday, January 06, 1998 6:16 AM
Subject: HELP! I AM DROWNING!
=20
Dear CU-SeeMe Expert Users,
=20
I'd be most grateful to learn a few fundamentals on CU.=20
=20
1. Is it sufficient to have CU-SeeMe version 0.92b2 installed in two =
machines to allow communication between the two of them through the =
Internet if both IP addresses are known? Or does the communication need =
to go via a reflector? I have perused through the manuals and have =
learnt that the reflector is for multi-point communication. Nothing is =
said about point-to-point communication.
=20
2. I have several IP addresses of reflectors but have never been =
able to connect to any of them. The cryptic messages I get are of no =
help in trouble-shooting. i.e. connecting to (IP #), unable to connect =
to (IP #). What are the most common causes of the latter message?=20
=20
Thank you very much for your awaited illumination.
=20
Raymond
=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01BD1A81.C4D775C0

1. Under Conference...Phone Book.....you type in the = IP number=20 of the person you are trying to reach.  They must have CU up and = running as=20 well.  Select Connect and if they are hooked up properly you  = will get=20 connected.   Sometimes a bad phone connection or a lot of = traffic on=20 the net will slow response times down, but you should get a=20 connection.

2.  there are lots of reflectors out  there but not all are UP all the=20 time.   thats why you get an unable to connect message=20 probably....could also be because of a bad connection (see = above).  =20 If you want to see if it works, try connecting to White Pine Cafe or to = NASA TV,=20 they are usually always up.

this are simplistic responses but they should get = you on your=20 way
-----Original = Message-----
I'd be most grateful to learn a few fundamentals on CU.

1. Is it sufficient to have CU-SeeMe version 0.92b2 installed in = two=20 machines to allow communication between the two of them through the = Internet=20 if both IP addresses are known? Or does the communication need to go = via a=20 reflector? I have perused through the manuals and have learnt that = the=20 reflector is for multi-point communication. Nothing is said about=20 point-to-point communication.

2. I have several IP addresses of reflectors but have never been = able to=20 connect to any of them. The cryptic messages I get are of no help in = trouble-shooting. i.e. connecting to (IP #), unable to connect to = (IP #).=20 What are the most common causes of the latter message?