Re: Which Cam Should I Purchase?

Howard Herman (hlh@panix.com)
Thu, 08 Jan 1998 06:59:11 -0500

Si wrote:

> At 08:33 PM 1/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
> > I am brand new (or newer) to CU-See-Me. I have decided that although I
> >own a pretty good video cam, I would rather purchase a digital cam than buy
> >a capture card ( I will most likely buy a card later for other purposes).
> >If anyone has a strong opinion that this is the wrong course of action, I
> >would like to hear what you have to say. I am the considering purchasing
> >the 'Connectix Color QuickCam 2', but I am uncertain. I know there are
> >many different cams available and I would greatly appreciate and and all
> >feedback regarding which camera offers the best quality audio and video.
> >Naturally, I want the best performance.
> >

> If you are interested in the quickcam 2, you might want to check the video
> conference section at:
>
> http://www.onsale.com/category/Multimedia.htm
>
> They have 60 of them on auction tonight with bids starting at $89 (I doubt
> they will all be sold, so you can probably get one for that plus about $10
> for shipping).

I visited the Connectix page, and they seem to be pushing their newer
model, the
QuickCamVC. Here is a quote from the page:

"QuickCam VC - A videoconferencing camera that helps you
to look
good." c|net's computers.com Quote: "Using the latest
version of
CUSeeMe, the VC captured roughly three times as many
frames per
second as the QuickCam 2; the video is clean and smooth,
without any of
the pixelation or graininess you get with the Color
QuickCam 2. The
QuickCam VC's improved performance doubtless owes a large
debt to
the camera's USB connection, an interface that's nearly
ten times as fast as
the serial port."

--