Re: CU-SeeMe - Does Audio work on a Modem?

Sat, 10 Jan 1998 16:13:40 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Gary Dietz wrote:
> The WhitePineBoard is a T.120 Whiteboard. Essentially, that's meaninngless
> (***for now***) with regards to inter-vendor communication.

Thanks for the detailed information..I learn something new every day :)

> Now, before Jason blows a gasket:
>
> 1) The chat standards, whiteboard standard just don't exist yet. When they
> do, we'll support them. They just aren't there yet.

I take this to mean H.323 standardized chat doesn't exist? So even
outside of CU, if a Intel Videophone user connects with a Netmeeting user,
they can't share chat? But they can share the Whiteboard?

I know H.323 is fairly new...so I'm not surprised the nitty gritty details
haven't been laid out yet (I'd still love know the status of H.323
multipoint calls..last I read in comp.dcom.videoconf, H.323 multipoint was
limited to multicasting only).

> 2) One of the many applications of MPCS may indeed be the hosting of
> clients completely outside the realm of CU at all -- MPCS rocks when
> hosting Intel Business Video H.323 hardware assisted clients. For that
> matter, MPCS extended NM clients into a multipoint world that they don't
> currently allow.

Perhaps I just need to play around with the software more. Allowing
multipoint calls in an environment that only supports point to point
connections is a pain to deal with. While White Pine may have done what
was needed to accomplish it, it's still a messy way to handle it. Ideally
Netmeeting and the other H.323 programs would support multipoint point
calls so you can actually conference with multiple people on the screen at
once. I guess you make the best of what you can at the time.

> H.323 is not (at least today) intended for the casual video chatter as
> defined in the market as built by the loyal Cornell and WP following.

I'm hoping eventually it will be though :) Right now H.323 is perfect for
White Pine's new market...the corporate users who might actually be able
to benefit from H.323 (and whiteboarding and multicasting..etc)

> However, it may some day be (or it may never). The H.323 market is more
> tilted toward the general business and/or distance learning markets.

read: people with bandwidth... :)

I'm hoping that changes some day...the videoconferencing market (both the
corporate AND the home users) is constantly changing though... With IPv6,
things will change drastically I believe... I think what's being done
today far exceeds the expectations of the internet as a whole (It wasn't
really designed for real time video and audio traffic.)