RE: 4 Folks Chatting

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:46:09 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Brian K. Dowtin wrote:
> Someone was asking about 4 folks chatting privately on a ref,
> which leads me to wonder about....
>
> Multicasting...
>
> Being to lazy to read up on the subject as I am. (or too
> busy working, if lazy doesn't sit well with you).
> I'm curious if Multicasting is works in an internet
> environment? If so whats it like? Slow, fast, stinky, etc?

I'm certainly no expert...but I've tried getting it to work on my modem
(supposedly the University is on the MBONE for multicasting)...but nothing
worked. From what little I know, not only do the end points have to
support it, but all the routers in between as well. I've tried some of
the multicasting tools on campus (NV, VAT, SD/SDR, etc)) and haven't had
much success. I don't know too much about it either though...just that it
generally doesn't work over large distances on the Internet (especially
modem to modem as the end points). Of course, IP tunnelling could come
into play... I've heard it works great on internal lans which support it.