Re: IP incorrect msg.

Mark Andrew Nassy (nassy@earthlink.net)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:22:24 -0500

At 4:06 AM -0500 on 1/13/98, CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu wrote:

> From: Brian Godette <bgodette@idcomm.com>
> To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
> Subject: Re: IP incorrect msg.

> > When I try to connect I get "Your IP Address is incorrect, restart
> >CU-SeeMe" from the reflector. I have put my IP address in the HOSTS file.
> >For ex., xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx username

> This is a message that's generated by ERefs if your CU client has a
> different IP address than the physical interface the packets originate
> from, this usually only happens on systems with more than one IP interface
> defined (Ethernet & PPP). To fix which IP is picked you need to remove
> dial-up networking, reboot, and reinstall dial-up networking, it will then
> use the IP from the PPP session as the default IP when you're connected to
> your ISP.

i have this problem also when i use cornell cuseeme 0.92b2. the message i
get from the reflector however is, unable to connect to: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

i suppose that means im not connecting to an eref.

i will try the soultion u suggested. hopefully it will work. however as i
use cuseeme both on the lan (not often) and with dun when run it on the lan
i suspect i may have problems.

in my search for a solution ive came across the following suggestions:

From: Bill Woodland <wcw@bga.com>
Subject: Workaround for cu-seeme problem with two IP addresses

John Golini of Los Gatos, CA sent me this info, which seems to be the
easiest workaround for this particular problem. His instructions are for
Windows NT

1. before starting cu-seeme connect the dial-up and note the IP address
using dial up network monitor/summary/details.

2. Go to control panel/network/protocols/tcp/ip protocol/properties and
change the specified IP address (of your network adaptor) to the dial-up IP
address, press the APPLY button.

3. Start CU-seeme v92b2, it should get the dial-up IP address, DO NOT
ATTEMPT A CONNECTION

and exit with OK.

unfortunately this didnt work for me with windows 95. ie, cu was still
picking up the lan ip.
i suspect the reason is bc i need to restart the computer for the changes
to take effect and i cant restart bc my address is assigned dynamically.

From: i forgot the location of this source.
Subject: as well as the name of the subject.

(1) change the dns server values for ur ethernet to those in ur ppp.
(2) assign the ip addresses to netBIOS names for ur lan in the lmhosts file.

this probably will not solve my problem as my problem does not lie with
resolving ip names to ip numbers.

From: also forgot the location of this source.

(1) use netswitcher or tcpswitcher
http://wwwbysnet.net/

to switch between configurations for ur dun or lan.

this seemed hopeful but unfortunately didnt work. cu still picked up the ip
address on the lan when connecting via dun.

From: also forgot the location of this source.

(1) use c:\windows\route.exe found on windows 95 to delete the lan route or
the ppp route so only 1 is in use at a time.

(2) create a batch file and a pif file that points to ur startup folder.

i was able to use route to delete the ppp route but couldnt figure out how
to delete the lan route, and its the lan route that is more of a problem
for me for now. if any1 has any suggestions on how i delete the lan route i
would appreciate it. also how do i create a pif file and a batch file to do
the work for me automatically on start up. thanks.