Re: reflector software?

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:19:34 -0600 (CST)

The most recent archives I've found is at http://www.xposure.net

> I intend to install a reflector under linux. The latest free version
> is from Cornell 4.00B3 but does not support color, correct?

Correct...also the Linux Cornell version has a ton of problems...like
crashing everytime someone leaves the reflector if they don't leave by
choosing Disconnect.

> If I want color I will have to go with whitepine, correct?

The White Pine version is an alternative...if you have between $2000 and
$20,000 to blow. Most people don't. :) You can try Brian Godette's FREE
Enhanced Reflector from http://www.dimensional.com/~bgodette
It uses the same config file format as the WP 2.0 reflector.

> I was also told that whitepine reflector handles sound much more
> efficiently. Correct?

White Pine reflector cuts down on the bandwidth required when there's a
lot of clients connected up..yes..as far as audio goes, it all relates to
the same thing. The Enhanced Reflector offers the same thing.

> Now, whitepine has discontinued its reflector software, and wont give
> it out under any circumstances. (just talked to them).

You gotta be joking...It's hard for me to refrain from making comments
about White Pine when they pull stunts like this. If you're going to yank
support for a product, at least have something to replace it with.

FYI..the WP 2.1 reflector for unix (NOT Win95/NT) is quite stable. It's
unfortunate you can't get it from White Pine anymore.

> Their new
> product - Meetingpoint - which should be according to the specs quite a
> powerful concept, has been released for Win NT and wont come out for
> linux any time soon, if at all.

You have to keep in mind, their market is no longer the end user
that wants to play with providing a reflector. They are looking at
multimillion dollar companies (Prodigy, Compuserve, etc.) as well as
educational institutes that HAVE that kind of money and bandwidth for
MeetingPoint to work.

> On top of it the cheapest license for
> ca. 10 users is 5000.- USD.

I see their $2000 intro level price didn't last long. It's too bad
they're advertising MPCS as a released product when it's only out for one
platform.

> Question is: Can one get the old whitepine reflector anyway. Like is
> someone out there willing to resell his version?

Forget WhitePine...go with the Enhanced Reflector..it's free, it's small,
it's bug free, and best of all..it works.