Re: is it possible to add/embed a cusm video feed into a

Rick Adams (adamsr@dmci.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 19:16:58 -0500

At 1/19/98 10:30 PM -0800, e wrote:
>hello all,
>
>is it possible to add embed cusm into a netscape page or other browser
>page? i am trying to set up a studio camera that is available for people,
>to go to my url and see my room live; through their browser.
>
>what is the best way to do this with cusm. i read a blip about one fellow
>doing it with telnet and cusm; he was telneting his cusm ip and others
>could see a live feed.
>
>any code you can email me or advice you can give me regarding this would be
>appreciated.

The easiest solution is to use either the Real Video server (if live
action is an essential) or WebCAM (if a series of stills is ok). With the
Real Server, you send a live feed to a window on your page that is
accessible by all who visit the site (no need for a client if you use the
built-in web display features). With WebCAM, you save a still image (in
.jpg format) at whatever intervals you select (from a few seconds to hours)
and viewers see it as any other image on the page (since they need to
refresh the screen to see new views, it's a good idea to have such an image
on a page that doesn't have a lot of other graphics -- or even on a page
that launches a separate instance of the browser client directly and
contains ONLY the WebCAM image and relevant text).

You can of course put a CU-SeeMe .cu file on the page for people to
connect to your site, but it requires them to have CU-SeeMe installed on
their machines and is a very slow way to send it.

Hope it helps,

Rick

--

adamsr@dmci.net * Rick Adams * http://b73.dmci.net/

Department of Social Sciences * Jackson Community College