Re: A challenge

Derald Grimwood (derald@pond.net)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:40:15 -0800

Dear DR. Crellin,

By happenstance, I own Timbuktu for both the PC and the Mac, so look@me is
unnecessary. I fired up Timbuktu on both machines and tried to view Apple
Video first, since it's in color (although it seem cudoodle only supports
grey-scale [am I wrong?]). Unfortunately all I see on the PC side is a
black hole where the video is streaming. Then I started the Cornell
CU-SEEME. I was able to see the video from the PC but only as a still. I had
to click on the Mac Video CU-SEEME Window to get it to update. Apparently
Timbuktu can't detect that screen area is updating. I almost downloaded
look@me to see if it was any better.

Then I noticed that the audio bar movement of the mac was visible on the PC.
I moved the Audio bar only by a couple of pixels over the video source and
magically I was seeing full motion video on my PC.

Then using CUDOODLE, I moved the Timbuktu screen image over the CUDOODLE
frame and started picking up local video in both the White Pines 3.1 demo
version and in VideoPhone.

I believe that anybody could use the above methodology by substituting
look@me for Timbuktu to have a totally free workable video transfer solution
between any two networked computers Mac, PC, or both.

Many Thanks,

Derald