Re: using cu or quickcam as a security device.

Howard Herman (hlh@panix.com)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 05:52:05 -0500

--------------1D97871835307292CCEBF2D5

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 05:23:20 -0500
From: Howard Herman <hlh@panix.com>
To: nassy@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: using cu or quickcam as a security device.

Mark Andrew Nassy wrote:

> [stuff deleted about using computers as part of a security system]

I really do not think this is a good idea. The best line of protection is
a perimeter security system. In other words, I would want a security
system that sets off its alarm at the moment the premises is broken into.
Also, some motion detectors inside, in case the first line of defense is
broken.

Why wait until someone is wandering around inside?

Also, depending upon the response your local police provide, you may want
to consider using a private security company to respond to any alarms. I
would suggest one of the old-line companies, such as Holmes Protection.
Your experienced burgler is often turned off by their warning sticker.

Finally, I like the idea of "booby trapping" the computer in some way.
However, this assumes that any stolen computers will ultimately be used
intact. It is my guess that computer thieves are much like car theives,
and will "chop" up the computer into its parts, within one hour of the
theft.

I suppose the exception would be a laptop. It is my guess that these are
sold intact.

Your idea to have security surveillance cameras is also a neat idea. These
should be attached to a perpetual loop tape recorder which is maintained in
a secure (different) location.

--

--------------1D97871835307292CCEBF2D5--