Re: MaxMTU in Windows95 and CU-Seeme

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:39:50 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Juan Miguel G. Monzon wrote:
> I am sure that some of you are aware of the MaxMTU problem of Windows95 and
> some people recommending that people use a setting of 576 as compared to the
> default of 1500.
>
> My question is how does this a setting of 576 affect Cu-Seeme, whether white
> pine or the cornell version?

I'm definitely not a networking expert, but my guess would be you want
this as high as possible so packets aren't fragmented and it takes less
packets to transmit the same amount of data. As I understand it, if there
are any routers along the way with a lower MTU than you, it will fragment
the packets anyway.

It seems with a lower MTU, it reduces the packet size and also would
reduce the throughput of the connection (ie: to send 1000 bytes of data
with an MTU of 576 would require two packets instead of one if the MTU had
been 1500)

>From what little I've read, lower MTU's are mainly useful if you want more
"interaction"...so if you have a long FTP transfer going while telnetting
to a shell account, you want the shell account to respond quicker. But
that also limits the FTP transfer in it's transfer rate since it has to
send many more packets to transfer the same data.

That's how I understand it...but I could be completely wrong :)