Re: MOTD acting funny?

James Hill (jamesh@161.33.3.2)
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 11:42:51 -0400

In message <Pine.3.89.9407222229.A21822-0100000@acf2.NYU.EDU> Michael Puskar
writes:
> Hello all,
> This is my first time, so please be gentle;) First, the dumb one:
> What does 'nv' stand for? My other two questions are regarding reflector.
> When I type my MOTD in the reflect.conf, I enter as:
> MOTD Text goes here.
> //
> When I access the reflector from the Mac client, the message comes
> across, but the rest of the dialog box is full of garbage characters.
> Anyone else?
>
> Also, when I run refmon, and type term to quit reflector, and it either
> exits refmon, or goes nutty, and starts scrolling up the screen repeating
> something about the socket.
>
> One more dumb question. What is the run_reflect script for?
> Thanks,
> Michael Puskar
>
> puskar@acf2.nyu.edu

To fix the MOTD thing, get the newest version of the reflector software, that
was a bug in that early version.

Secondly, when you issue the term command in refmon, and are using the
run_reflect script which restartes the reflector when it crashes, the reflector
tries to restart but cannot because the refmon program uses one of the sockets
the reflector requires to run. The solution is to either not run the
run_reflecto script (I recommend that you DO use that script...) or use the UNIX
kill command to stop the rflector and make sure you arent in the refmon program
when the reflector dies or you will get all that scrolling up your screen
telling you about the socket error.

Whew!

Hope that clears up a few things. :)

--JGH--

James Hill | IRC = Card on #ITV
jamesh@qms.com | CU-Seeme reflector = 161.33.3.1
QMS, Inc. | (now with the new reflector)
205-639-3274 | Pax Vobiscum Amicus