RE: CUSeeMe Reflector on Linux

Timothy Mulkey (LSMULKY@scifac.indstate.edu)
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 17:46:39 -0400

> Subject: CUSeeMe Reflector on Linux
> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 15:33:50 -0400
> From: Roger J Chapman <rjchapma@sacam.OREN.ORTN.EDU>

> Has anyone successfully installed a CUSeeMe reflector on Slackware
> Linux? I need to do so and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Yes, Slackware Linux appears to run the reflector without any major problems
and without a great deal of configuration changes. There are only a couple of
slight modifications which Linux requires. We haven't updated to the latest
release of the reflector (will do that in the next day or so) but with the previously
release(s) there have been no glitches. We have tried the reflector locally with
up to 6 connections (limited since we have only used CU-SeeMe for a few
weeks).

My Linux "guru" is willing to supply a patch to simplify the use of Linux for
reflector sites. Since Linux (which is well-supported freeware via its
newsgroups) can operate on any 386/486/P5 PC with 4 megs, it would allow some
people to have reflectors who can not afford a Sun or other Unix platform. Let
me know if there is any interest in making a patch available; I have an FTP site I
can place it on or I can supply the patch to the CU-SeeMe design team for
distribution from their site if they are interested.

Tim

| Timothy Mulkey, Assoc. Prof. | EMAIL ADDRESSES ---------- |
| Department of Life Sciences | |
| Science Building, Room 210 | LAN - SCIFAC/LSMULKY |
| Indiana State University | InterNet - |
| Terre Haute, IN 47809 | LSMULKY@SCIFAC.INDSTATE.EDU |
| Phone - (812) 237-2418 (office) | CompuServe - 71240,3616 |
| (812) 877-9735 (home) | Prodigy - NVDM34A |
| FAX - (812) 237-8033 | |
| | |