Re: Unsupported digitizers (was RE: CUSeeMe w/serial port camera?)

Michael Mraz (cu-seeme-l@cornell.edu)
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 19:01:17 -0400

Tim Dorcey writes:

>>As far as I understand things, CUSM uses a vdig to get the video data. If
>>someone where to write a vdig, although I think the camera would come with
>>one, it should work with CUSM fine. Am I right Cornell?
>
>In principle, yes. CU-SeeMe (on the Mac) accesses the digitizer through
>the standard QuickTime interface, as supported by the vdig. However, it
>doesn't make all of the right configuration calls to allow it to work with
>every vdig. In fact, the only digitizers that are known to work with
>CU-SeeMe's current arrangement of QuickTime calls are the SuperMac
>VideoSpigot, Mac AV, and Computer Eyes/RT. The versions of CU-SeeMe that
>we distribute look specifically for one of the vdig's that we know will
>work, and go into receive-only mode if a "supported" vdig is not found.
>However, there is a version called "xCU-SeeMe0.60b1" on gated.cornell.edu
>that will try to use whatever vdig it finds. If you find that it works
>with some particular vdig, please let me know and I can add that vdig to
>our supported list.

Is it really necessary to be so hyper-cautious? Are you liable to suffer
dire consequences if the digitizer doesn't quite work with the calls you use?
What I'm saying is, wouldn't it be simpler to remove the explicit check for
those particular digitizers, and simply put a list of "supported" digitizers
in the documentation? Then you wouldn't need the xCU-SeeMe version any more.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro fone: +64-7-856-2889
Info & Tech Services Division fax: +64-7-838-4066
University of Waikato electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand 37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00