Re: Internet radio...

Ignacio (l.ignacio@interaccess.cl)
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 10:31:38 -0400

At 11:43 PM 7/2/96, Imam Barbarossa Bey wrote:
>A group of people I am involved with are looking to start a "pirate" radio
>station broadcasting over the Internet. We are looking at the various
>software options that we have. There are several criteria:

>1. Price. We have virtually no budget, so freeware or very cheap shareware
>is preferred.

You can use QuickTime without paying any royalties.

>2. Ease of use. Our goal is to let the broadcasting "responsibilities" be
>shared at different times by people all over the world. Many of the people
>may be of limited technical savvy, so the server software must be fairly
>simple.

No server software requiered, just any web server. There are some free ones
for the Macintosh, very easy to use.

>3. Platform independence. The broadcasting must be able to be done from
>either Mac or PC, & recieving should be available on Unix as well, if
>possible.

You can serve QuickTime files on any platform, however the coding of the
files must be done on a Mac for now.

>4. Limited bandwidth. For audio, 28.8 must be comfortably sufficient for
>transmission

There are some new codecs coming in version 2.5 wich might be able to
acomplish this, though they may not be multiplatform yet.

>Our current plans are for audio only, but I could see us taking some
>advantage of slide & video capabilities if available, but they would be
>lower priority.

Well, QuickTime...

>So... Is CU-Seeme the best solution for my needs? I know it meets most, if
>not all of my needs (I don't think it has a Unix client, does it?), but is
>it the BEST solution, considering I only need audio? Are their other
>packages that I should be aware of?

QuickTime is a good choice because it's inexpensive, but if you can get
some money you should use RealAudio. Also, you can use RealAudio without
the server, which means there can be no streaming, but RA files are so
compact that perhaps it doesn't matter. Radio Israel puts up a
non-streaming RealAudio newscast. QuickTime streaming might not work yet
over 28.8, but it's very multiplatform and file sizes are moderate with IMA
4:1 compression.

Note, Please reply to: ignacio@mailhost.net

Ignacio Rodriguez