Re: Using camcorder with laptop computer

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Sun, 7 Jul 1996 00:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996 ir004161@pop3.interramp.com wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is some kind of interface box that
> will allow me to hook a camcorder (with standard NTSC outputs) into the
> parallel/kb ports of a laptop computer

Yes, there are several. Most famous one - Snappy... (
http://www.play.com ) Another one - ComputerEyes/LPT (
http://www.digvis.com/icelpt.html ). Neither of them
work with CUSeeMe or any other videoconferencing software as far as I
know. I don't know of any way to hook NTSC sources to a laptop for
videoconferencing purposes (which always fascinated me).

It's probably not even a hardware problem. I see no reason why an
emulating driver be written to allow the Snappy to be used as an
AVI-making (capable) capture board. Perhaps since it can't capture a
high frame rate (15+), but I seriously doubt the Snappy can't technically
capture 2-3 frames per sec... It could probably do something like 5 (I'm
just guessing) which would be satisfactory for CUSM-type applic for a year
or two (until affordable ISDN/cable modems allow us higher frame rates).

Maybe they're working on such a beast right now (the driver). I'm
thinking this would be an incredible way to boost sales even more. I'd
personally get a Snappy if it could do videoconferencing. It's a really
nice piece of hardware (amazing specs), just that they never took the next
step to make it a REALLY amazing piece of hardware (i.e.
videoconference-able).

Thanx for the opportunity to share some of my thoughts,
Ron.