Re: Just in case ya'll didn't know.....Audio tip for CU.

jwf2@slip.net
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 21:58:40 +0000

> Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 18:25:34 -0500
> From: tuffguy <snod@firecraker.com>
> To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> Subject: Just in case ya'll didn't know.....Audio tip for CU.

> I know there are alot of you out there who can't seem to send good audio
> over CU... The actuall reasons may vary, but here's something to try:
>
> When you want to speak, freeze your video before you transmit. Leave it
> paused untill you're done talking, then let off the transmit, and you
> can click your video to start sending again. Anyone talking to you
> (especially DC, but works very well on ref's too) must do the same, and
> you will note a BIG difference in clarity, with much less choppiness.
> So what if it's a frozen picture for 10 secs here and there... It's
> still better than Ma Bell, and remember, we are on the cutting edge of
> technology here, things aren't perfect, but every one will benifit in
> the future by participating now. Problems that we have and report
> (bitch and whine about) now will make for a better product in the
> future. Untill then, I hope this helps some of you for the time being.
> Have a good one.... "CU" around....
>
> Mark
>
> Wee'l another thing that Ive found is that if both parties are
using the same audio settings in ECU. I leave my settings at Digitalk
8.5kbps, @ 100ms and what do I get? Crystal clear audio without
having to freeze my video. (ECU will freeze it for you) This works
as well through a REF. I have done this time and time again, and have
found if you tell the other person to change there settings they are "amazed"
saying; "wow I didnt know CU audio could be this good!"