Re: where'd my typed text go???... enriching context

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 16:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Dennis J. Streveler wrote:

> There is only one way to assure the accountability for your message which
> you are assuming. That is, at the beginning of each message which you send,
> send a "serial number" along with it. For example, "1 Hi iceman, are you
> there?" If later he sees "2 It's great weather here", he may realize he has
> "missed" your message #1, and ask you to repeat it.

That's a cute way to do it. I like that.

> Is this a kludgey, silly, laborious way to get around this problem? Yes,
> most definitely. If anybody has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

I'm not really sure where the problem is... Why can't CU-SeeMe do the
serialization and verification and automatically resend lost text packets?
I mean, nobody cares about a part of a video frame being lost (and the
packet authentication process will be a massive overhead which will
severely hamper image quality anyways), but for text messages, I really
think a built-in mechanism should be used to guarrantee all packets
are received. Since text is cheap compared to video, why not send 10
copies of the packet and have the receiver discard the duplicates it
receives?

Just a thought...

Ron
Miami, FL