Re: where'd my typed text go???... enriching context

Bill Knauss (wknauss@fast.net)
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 01:07:07 -0400

At 12:30 PM 7/12/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Like audio and video packets, "chat" packets can get lost too. If this
>happens, the only thing you can do is type the message again.
>
>There is only one way to assure the accountability for your message which
>you are assuming. That is, at the beginning of each message which you send,
>send a "serial number" along with it. For example, "1 Hi iceman, are you
>there?" If later he sees "2 It's great weather here", he may realize he has
>"missed" your message #1, and ask you to repeat it.
>
>Is this a kludgey, silly, laborious way to get around this problem? Yes,
>most definitely. If anybody has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

I belong to a rather large group of people who seem to have found the
best way to communicate while using CU for our video. It's the IRC.
We meet on a certain channel every night while connected to a Ref. using
CU-SeeMe. No text gets lost although there is some lag from time to time.

While the lag can get frustrating at times, it's much better than not getting
the text at all. And we don't have to bother tagging our lines of text with
numerals as you suggest.

I keep my mIRC window open in the same spot as the CU Chat window
would normally be. Try it, you'll like it. :)

Bill Knauss (wknauss@fast.net)