Re: False expectations? Future promise.

Kent Starr (wizzard@icanect.net)
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 17:25:13 -0400

Dennis J. Streveler wrote:
=

> 1) The Internet was NEVER designed for time-sensitive applications. It WA=
> designed to survive thermo-nuclear war (but that is another agenda!)

Any one up for a test to see if it works? :->) =

> Come'on now, doesn't everyone fully realize that you are seeing the
> emergeance of a totally new technology? =

No, in our wimpy, whiny, instant-gratification society, most people =

probably don't!

>Even at this stage, it is truly
> exciting and amazing. But remember, it is best thought of as a solution
> where "ANY picture is better than NO picture." So, lighten up, be patient=
,
> learn from your experiences with this level of perfection, and dream abou=
> what will likely be available very shortly. The world is going to shrink
> another few sizes sooner than you think!

Exactly. Remember the Timex-Sinclair (I couldn't afford a TRS-80 =

"mainframe" at the time. It was slow, clunky, the resolution (my cheap =

TV) sucked. But it had a *very* basic BASIC, could do graphics after a =

fashion, and I could create games, manage a database, solve celestial =

navigation problems and write on the damn thing. Wish I still had it, =

because it *was* fun. (Lived on a boat at the time, so I didn't have to =

worry about the marine environment eating up a sizable investment, =

either.

Kent Starr
aka Wizzard=A9
wizzard@icanect.net