Re: Vids that need to be "goosed"

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 13:59:57 -0700

At 03:54 PM 7/13/96 PDT, ir004161@pop3.interramp.com wrote:
>Hello List,
>
> I recently upgraded to ECUSM v. 2.0.2 and am having a problem. This
>has always been present to a degree even in earlier versions but seems to be
>worse in 2.0.2. The fact that I have an ISDL line makes it even more
>puzzeling than otherwise. When I am connected to a reflector, frequently
>(but seemingly randomly) vids are slow to refresh even when it seems they
>should be. A vid will become "static" even though its kbps value is large
>and changing. I can usually "goose" the vid into refreshing by clicking on
>its status or information icon boxes or by temporarily covering the vid
>window with a larger window or the chat window. Seems to happen even if it
>is the ONLY window I have open on the reflector. What's causing this and
>why should "goosing" be necessary? Is this really worse in 2.0.2? It's
>really starting to get frustrating to have to do this extra work to get
>decent refreshing. Other system specs: Pentium 120/16 MB RAM/DOS 6.22/
>WFWG 3.11/ECU 2.0.2/ISDN 57.6K/Motorola BitSurfr and/or 28.8 Hays compatible
>generic modem. TIA for help. -JRG
>
>-------------------------------------
>E-mail: ir004161@interramp.com
>Date: 07/13/96
>Time: 14:18:03
>
>"Beer: It's not just for breakfast any more."
>-------------------------------------

Hello,

All I can say is that I have observed the same behavior. And yes I too am on
ISDN. I hadn't tried the "goosing" technique you suggested, I had assumed
that, even though the reflector was sending a rather large stream of
packets, that the application was deciding that they didn't contain
meaningful updates afterall. Now, your experience seems to indicate this is
not the case. It is beginning to sound like a bonafide bug to me...

Regards,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| web: www.usr.mobius.net/strev
-Future Technologies in Medicine / | CUSeeMe: ws1.streveler.xo.com
Methodologies | 415 469-9476 fax