Re: Cu-SeeMe over cellular phone

John R. Haggis (haggis@cesium.com)
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 19:09:56 -0700

At 05:46 PM 7/15/96 -0500, Brett C. Harvey wrote:
>>Has anyone worked with Cu-SeeMe using a laptop and a cell phone hookup?
>>I was wondering if this could work...
>
>YEP - it can be done! I've connected and used CUSM from an Airplane!!!
>(talk about a cellular kinda connection). It was a definite adrenaline
>rush!! (very expensive too!)

I've used it over a Cell phone. It's not real fast (9600 baud) but it
works. However, there are several things to keep in mind to get and
maintain a 9600 baud cell connection. If you're an old cell modem veteran,
you can probably ignore this. But if not, take note:

1. You need a good cell modem. Mainly, you need cellular protocols.
MNP10-EC keeps you connected. Additionally, you need a throughput-enhancing
protocol such as TxCell or ETC.

2. You need a cellular data service at the other end. In my service area,
GTE offers a "modem pool". For a tiny monthly fee, I get to send a prefix
and have a cellular modem at GTE answer my call, connect with my cellular
modem, establish 2-way protocols, and then dial out on a landline modem on
the other end autmoatically to the destination I gave in my original dial
string.

3. You need to be stationary, with a 5/5 or 4/5 signal strength.

I've done it with pretty good results. I have a Motorola Micro-Tac Elite
phone with an Apex direct-connect cellular modem (Mobile Plus 28.8) with
MNP10-EC and TxCell. GTE modem pool supports MNP10-EC, TxCell, and ETC.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Regards,

John

--
John R. Haggis            haggis@cesium.com