Re: HELP: ProMovie Studio problems!

John R. Haggis (haggis@cesium.com)
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 14:18:50 -0700

At 10:02 PM 7/2/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings:
> I've been trying since for well over a year, to get my ProMovie Studio
>("PMS")
>capture board to function! I've just re-installed the drivers under
>Win95 OR under
>Windows 3.x/WfW and cannot go any further! I'm trying to connect my VCR
>to my PC

OK, folks. I don't know much about W95 (3.11 luddite that I am), but I do
know a bit about the PMS. I'm using the Pro Movie Studio quite happily with
the current White Pine release (I'm a registered customer), on Windows 3.11.

I am not optimistic about using the Pro Movie line under W95. Is MV still
making drivers? Or are you using W3.11 drivers somehow? I'd like to know
for my own future reference.

Anyway, to help you on W3.11, here is a potential solution and background:

1. There are several versions of PMS drivers floating around. All but one
DO NOT work with CUSM.

2. I have them on my web site, along with a little explanation.

http://www.cesium.com/mvftp.html

3. VCR's can be dicey with that board. (Even after setting the "VCR"
setting in the control panel.) Apparently, it doesn't have the best
sync-separation circuitry. You should get some image, at least, though it
may be wavy. My CamCorder would work fine in live Acq mode, but when I
tried to play back a tape, it choked and lost sync. May have had something
to do with Hi-8 frequency response? I'm not sure...

Good luck. Let me know if it works for you.

Also, I haven't been able to get palettized 256-level color acq working with
this system. I believe in an earlier version of WP or Cornell I was able to
import a palette (that I acquired with "vidcap", a bare-bones VfW app).

If anyone knows about running WP 2.01 with palettized color, let me know.

Regards,

John

--
John R. Haggis            haggis@cesium.com