Re: Was...Re: Cu-SeeMe over cellular phone..now POVERT

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 20:55:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996 k1oik@ccsnet.com wrote:

> I always despised these cute little quotes that over simplified a
> problem. Why not post the one about holding a bake sale for the Air
> Force? I bet Eric writes but does not DO. What does Eric do about
> hunger? You philosophy is take from those who work for it and give it to
> those who do not. Has Eric donated food? in many cases when you give
> food you teach the receiver to sit on their butts. Of course there are
> many many exceptions.

I completely agree with u. And even if our friend Eric "DOES", by
donating 50% of his income to the poor, it won't be enough to make a
significant improvement. The problem is with society; try to suggest a law
that'll require every citizen in the U.S. to pay (a minimum of) $10 a year
in donation and choose which starving country the money will go to, and
you'll find the absolute majority to go against it...

It'll probably also be an excellent educational tool and make the people
of this country feel better and less egocentric. I personally don't make
donations now, and I won't do it unless I feel it will make a difference,
which is what I suppose most people who don't donate feel. By donating
alone u feel as if the money just "disappeared" and left no impact
whatsoever on the course of life (not solving any problem)...

Besides the fact that one could always quiet their guilty conscience by
claiming that these starving individuals are better off dead than
fully-fed and with no job, no housing, no chance to make it... We don't
see our friend Eric telling us what we're supposed to do with these
starving children once they're fully fed... Do we encourage them to
multiply and make us all feed their offsprings forever? Eric's quote is a
nice meaningless jesture, no more and no less.

Ron
P.S., what the HELL is that gotta do with CU-SeeMe hehehe