Snappy and MS NetMeeting: inquiring minds want to know

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 23:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Dennis J. Streveler wrote:

> >If you already have a camcorder, it makes more sense to get one of these
> >babies than spend an extra $50 for the color Quickcam... That is, again,
> >assuming CU-Doodle works with it. Now we also have the question of
> >whether MS Netmeeting would work with it.

> I don't see any reason why MS NetMeeting would have any trouble with it.
> I've been doing some experiments, and it appears you can share just about
> any active application with it. I have even shared a "local" CUSeeMe window
> -- with NetMeeting sending it. Strange, but it does work.

Dennis, I know it should work, and it probably will, but I want to hear
from someone who's actually done it before I get one (Snappy).

A few other points to examine:

Does the Snappy let you view the live 24bit color video in any size
window? (Almost all Windows apps let you do that.) While running
NetMeeting, I want to be able to somewhat control the bandwidth usage (for
size vs. frame rate purposes), and resizing SHOULD do the trick quite
well. In other words, if you make an 80x60 live Snappy window of only
your face (which is sufficient) it should REALLY FLY (over 12fps) and you
could in effect read the person's lips, and stuff. This works in theory,
but I would like to hear from actual owners of Snappy if this is really
possible.

Also, is it possible to have the live Snappy window in black&white
even though the source is a color camcorder (or a VCR tape)? This is
also important when you would rather have a higher frame rate in the
expense of losing color.

I just did a DejaNews search for "Snappy and NetMeeting" but nobody on
the Usenet has written anything about it, yet. (I'll do it if nobody on
the list has a Snappy).

Thanx,
Ron