Nominal ISDN speed vs dial-up speed

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:54:09 -0700

Alex,

I had a similar situation with an ISDN ISP who simply didn't have enough
"backend bandwidth" to sell. Sometimes I got BETTER performance using 28.8
dial-in to another ISP! After raising a big stink, all the sudden the
bandwidth improved, and now I usually get 6.4k or so when doing somewhat
large FTP transfers or when downloading from the Web. So, I guess you need
to complain, complain, complain. Obviously if ISDN doesn't beat POTS, there
is not going to be much business for them!

Cheers,
Dennis

At 12:16 PM 7/30/96 -0500, Alex Watson wrote:

>I think the ISP can ban it if they want, but it wouldnt be a very wise
>thing to do. Here's the question: Is your ISP selling "Access" or
>"Bandwidth"?
>
>I have a dedicated ISDN, and have yet to get above 3.6k consistent
>throughput anywhere except to my ISP. Where I should conceivably be
>getting 7.5k w/o compression. In other words my ISDN is just as good as
>a 28.8 modem. (1-b channel btw.)
>
>alex
>

>+-----------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>|email: alex@pathfinders.com | PATHFINDERS |
>|http://www.pathfinders.com | 18790 W. 115th Terr. |
>|reflector: pathfinders.com | Olathe, KS 66061 |
>| Specializing in CD-ROM Recording / Multimedia and Custom Development. |
>| (Microsoft Certified Engineers) (Microsoft(tm) Solution Provider) |

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| web: www.usr.mobius.net/strev
-Future Technologies in Medicine / | CUSeeMe: ws1.streveler.xo.com
Methodologies | 415 469-9476 fax