Re: Nominal ISDN speed vs dial-up speed

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:47:34 -0700

At 02:26 AM 7/31/96 GMT, George wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:54:09 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>Alex,
>>
>>I had a similar situation with an ISDN ISP who simply didn't have enough
>>"backend bandwidth" to sell. Sometimes I got BETTER performance using 28.8
>>dial-in to another ISP! After raising a big stink, all the sudden the
>>bandwidth improved, and now I usually get 6.4k or so when doing somewhat
>>large FTP transfers or when downloading from the Web. So, I guess you need
>>to complain, complain, complain. Obviously if ISDN doesn't beat POTS, there
>>is not going to be much business for them!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Dennis
>>
>Gee, half the time (depending on traffic and server),
>the 28.8 modem I bought four months ago doesn't behave any better than
>my old 14.4 (1.2K/sec).
>

>George
>gpl@wincom.net
>http://www.wincom.net/~gpl

George,

Are you sure you are REALLY connected at 28.8? Sometimes (most of the time
actually) a 28.8 modem connects at speeds considerably lower, like 24000, so
don't expect that a 28.8 is always twice the speed. But of course it could
be your ISP as well. Some of them are really getting rotten at giving you
any bandwidth. Of course, somewhere downstream there could be a bottleneck
too, and this could be what is slowing you up. That's why the PING utility
exists, so you can do some network diagnostics and figure out what is going
on. This is especially helpful if you have a small number of sites which you
consistently access...

Cheers,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| web: www.usr.mobius.net/strev
-Future Technologies in Medicine / | CUSeeMe: ws1.streveler.xo.com
Methodologies | 415 469-9476 fax