Re: Nominal ISDN speed vs dial-up speed

George P Lois (gpl@mail.wincom.net)
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:50:27 GMT

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:47:34 -0700, you wrote:

>At 02:26 AM 7/31/96 GMT, George wrote:
>>On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:54:09 -0700, you wrote:
>George,
>
>Are you sure you are REALLY connected at 28.8? Sometimes (most of the time
>actually) a 28.8 modem connects at speeds considerably lower, like 24000, so
>don't expect that a 28.8 is always twice the speed. But of course it could
>be your ISP as well. Some of them are really getting rotten at giving you
>any bandwidth. Of course, somewhere downstream there could be a bottleneck
>too, and this could be what is slowing you up. That's why the PING utility
>exists, so you can do some network diagnostics and figure out what is going
>on. This is especially helpful if you have a small number of sites which you
>consistently access...

Yes, I am connected at 28.8 (the window says 57.7kbps/sec). I think
my problem is occasionned by the traffic, downloading server or the
route the data uses to get to me.

For example, the other day I downloaded a 8 MB file from Microsoft
(actually four 2 MB files). Microsoft has four servers. The first
part, I downloaded from their Washingtom server and I attained only a
dismal 1.0K/sec. In despair, for the remaining parts I turned (same
session) to their Redmond server and started downloading at 3.7K/sec.

The Internet has mysterious ways...

George
gpl@wincom.net
http://www.wincom.net/~gpl