Re: UNIX version?

Matthew J. Sheats (mathews@bedrock.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:16:17 +30000

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Todd Biske wrote:

> I hunted around for a Unix version and came up empty. There are UNIX
> video conferencing tools, the most popular are nv and vat. nv stands
> for "network video" which can be used to connect to a CU-SeeMe reflector.
> The drawback is that a reflector will only send at most 4 video feeds to
> an nv client, from ALL available channels. The nv user has no control over
> which feeds are received, and has no idea how many other users are on
> a reflector besides the 4 that are visible. It also does not support
> color feeds and will sometimes crash if a color feed is received.

And on top of that, you have to get MBONE support. I don't know
about most of you guys, but getting multicasting setup at my school would
involve so much beauracracy (sp?) that it just wouldn't be worth it.

MBONE is a tremendous tool, but the *nix's of the world need
simple peer to peer CU-SEEME like client.

I'll keep holding my breath I guess.

Matthew J. Sheats -- University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Greenbelt, MD.
Building 28, W269. Phone: (301)286-8009
E-Mail: mathews@bedrock.gsfc.nasa.gov